Find Deck Staining in Guilford, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to consider which option best suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for your needs.
Does staining my deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Guilford, ME poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What sort of time frame can I expect when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable during the curing process.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Guilford, ME on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Guilford, ME and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.