Find a Cabinet Painter in Harpswell, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which type of paint do you use for cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that modern look. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Which features do I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the difficult prep stage a necessity prior to painting my cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Harpswell, Maine, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Harpswell, Maine Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Harpswell, Maine fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Harpswell, Maine easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.