Find Deck Staining in Limerick, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for your needs.
Does staining a deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Limerick, Maine is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long will it take an expert to finish a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying step.
All of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Limerick, Maine on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Limerick, Maine and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.