Find a Cabinet Painter in Lovell, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern appearance. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
Which features should I look for from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the tedious prep step a necessity when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Lovell, Maine, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Lovell, Maine to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Lovell, Maine fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Lovell, Maine confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.