Find a Cabinet Painter in North Yarmouth, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the style of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep step necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are several factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around North Yarmouth, ME, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near North Yarmouth, ME to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near North Yarmouth, ME varies, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in North Yarmouth, ME confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.