Find a Cabinet Painter in Northeast Harbor, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maine // Northeast Harbor
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I choose a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what style you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep step necessary prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will I need to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Northeast Harbor, ME, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Northeast Harbor, ME to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Northeast Harbor, ME fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Northeast Harbor, ME easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.