Find a Cabinet Painter in Orrs Island, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Is it simple to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Orrs Island, Maine, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Orrs Island, Maine Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Orrs Island, Maine varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Orrs Island, Maine confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.