Find a Cabinet Painter in Oxford, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How do I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Oxford, Maine, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Oxford, Maine Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Oxford, Maine varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Oxford, Maine easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.