Find Deck Staining in Rockland, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Maine // Rockland
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep should be conducted before staining a deck?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and lawn.
What are the advantages of staining my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Rockland, ME is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Rockland, ME on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Rockland, ME and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.