Find Deck Staining in South Gardiner, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep needs to be done before staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Will deck staining give more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for your needs.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in South Gardiner, Maine is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in South Gardiner, Maine on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in South Gardiner, Maine and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.