Find a Cabinet Painter in South Paris, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maine // South Paris
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I determine if I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to start is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In South Paris, ME, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter in South Paris, ME Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in South Paris, ME varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in South Paris, ME easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.