Find Deck Staining in Steuben, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What steps should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Steuben, ME is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Steuben, ME on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Steuben, ME and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.