Find a Cabinet Painter in Sullivan, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maine // Sullivan
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Is it simple to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will I have to pay to paint my current cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Sullivan, Maine, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Sullivan, Maine
A quick way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Sullivan, Maine fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Sullivan, Maine easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.