Find Deck Staining in Sullivan, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep has to be conducted before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and lawn.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Can staining a deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Sullivan, ME is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Sullivan, ME on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Sullivan, ME and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.