Find Deck Staining in Sumner, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations are advised before staining a deck?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for your needs.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Sumner, Maine is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Sumner, Maine on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Sumner, Maine and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.