Find a pro in Surry, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement really depends on the measurements of your roof, but there are also many other factors to think about. The typical residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so normally, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Another thing you need to take into consideration is the projected weather in your area. Storms will put a halt on work and this can really delay the job. If bad weather is supposed to happen during your roof replacement project, you could expect your roof to take a few more days to finish.
The style of your roof is an important factor that you should think about. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A roof with more features will take more time and your roof replacement professional can come up with the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are the most cost-effective solution for your new roof, and just because they are the cheaper product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In fact, you’ll see most homes in your neighborhood with asphalt shingles on their roofs because they are strong and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs while being the affordable option. Plus, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any residential property.
Asphalt shingles do require some attention more often than the more expensive options. They typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. But you can always purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof needs to be your ultimate decision when repairs just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re dealing with these types of issues:
- AGE: If your roof is older, the possibility of it needing to be replaced becomes more pressing. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential houses and these usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. When your roof has aged this much, it’s a smart choice to get routine inspections in order to determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. Sagging is not ideal, and this indicates you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a great barrier for your entire home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s hard to come up with an exact amount on how much a new roof is going to cost you because there are a few factors that will establish the total cost. Commonly, replacing your roof falls anywhere between $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the materials being used. The cost of your new roof will be factored by the materials you want for your roof, and it's expected that 60% of the price will be towards labor.
Getting an estimate for the size of your roof can also be difficult if you have a more complex roof because you’ll have to account for hips, gabbles, and other angles. This is where a roofing specialist can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to calculate the measurements of your roof and provide you with an accurate estimate on the cost of your roof.
Roofing Replacement & Roofing Repair Companies in Surry, Maine
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management platform that helps you hire roofing maintenance professionals in Surry, Maine. See what experiences other customers have had, communicate directly with the roofing maintenance contractor want to hire, book an appointment, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Every homeowner understands that maintenance is necessary to keep their property in a favorable condition. It’s smart to stay on top of repairs to avoid having to pay an expensive roof replacement.
Do you need roofing maintenance services? With the exception of leakage or other obvious issues, there are a few things that might illustrate whether a roof repair is a wise choice.
- The Age of Your Roof: In general, 20-25 years is how long a standard roof lasts, so if you think your roof is older than that, it might be time to contact a roofer to come check it out.
- Warped or Bent Roof Deck: A warped or bent roof deck is a serious issue and requires attention immediately. An established roof repair contractor can fix the problem before a replacement is needed.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles collect in your gutters, and degrading shingles are not a good sign. A roofing repair contractor will clean your gutters while checking up on your shingles.
- Broken flashing: Broken flashing allows water to penetrate the sealed joints. Contact a roofing contractor to fix deteriorating, missing, or broken flashing so you don’t have to deal with leaks.
- Missing or damaged shingles: When you notice there are shingles that are ripped, in pieces, or missing entirely, it's a sign that your roof needs to be looked at. Roofing maintenance services will identify damaged shingles and provide timely repairs to prevent leaks from causing further damage.
Hire a company that can make your roofing maintenance a streamlined process. Once you’ve found the contractor you want, it’s just a matter of requesting a estimate and setting up an appointment to get your roof in order.