Find a Cabinet Painter in Wiscasset, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How will I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price for painting cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Wiscasset, ME, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Wiscasset, ME to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Wiscasset, ME fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Wiscasset, ME confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.