Find Deck Staining in Alpena, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
How do various factors affect the cost of hiring a professional for deck staining?
Many things can influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors will give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but this price will go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before application.
The type of stain you pick for the project will be included in the final price, and premium options with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to access or work around could lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying more layers of stain, could also increase your final costs.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's important to get multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. You can discover all this information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. The environment around the work area, like pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying step.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
What is the optimal season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparations are suggested prior to staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and grounds.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Alpena, Michigan on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Alpena, Michigan and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.