Find Deck Staining in Applegate, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the climate play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What steps must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Would painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Applegate, Michigan poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Applegate, Michigan on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Applegate, Michigan and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.