Find a Cabinet Painter in Ashley, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Michigan // Ashley
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
It seems like there's nothing to display in this area. Please try searching in a different location or using alternative search terms to find what you're looking for. If you need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for help!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How can I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost for a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Ashley, MI, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Ashley, MI
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Ashley, MI fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Ashley, MI easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.