Find Deck Staining in Attica, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does deck staining offer more advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck deliver any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Attica, Michigan poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long will it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I envisioned?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the drying process.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What season of the year is recommended for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Attica, Michigan on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Attica, Michigan and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.