Find a Cabinet Painter in Chelsea, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted to the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek appearance. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How can I determine if I've found the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by knowing precisely what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Chelsea, MI, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Chelsea, MI Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Chelsea, MI varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Chelsea, MI easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.