Find a Cabinet Painter in Clinton, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to begin is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to budget to paint my current cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Clinton, Michigan, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Clinton, Michigan to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Clinton, Michigan varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Clinton, Michigan confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.