Find Deck Staining in Decatur, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
Will deck staining offer fewer advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for your needs.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Decatur, MI is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Decatur, MI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Decatur, MI and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.