Find Deck Staining in Frederic, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does deck staining give less benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help safeguard it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Frederic, MI is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What sort of time frame can I anticipate when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and structures, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Frederic, MI on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Frederic, MI and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.