Find a Cabinet Painter in Galesburg, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How do I pick a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep step necessary prior to painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the price for painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Galesburg, Michigan, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Galesburg, Michigan
A quick way to enhance the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Galesburg, Michigan fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Galesburg, Michigan confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.