Find Deck Staining in Goodells, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Goodells, Michigan poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the following step. The environment around the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable for the drying step.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
What is the best weather for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Goodells, Michigan on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Goodells, Michigan and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.