Find a Cabinet Painter in Grand Haven, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek aesthetic. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will I need to pay to paint my used cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Grand Haven, MI, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Grand Haven, MI to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Grand Haven, MI varies, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Grand Haven, MI easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.