Find a Cabinet Painter in Gregory, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted by the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How do I choose the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep step a necessity prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Gregory, MI, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Gregory, MI Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to increase the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Gregory, MI varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Gregory, MI easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.