Find a Cabinet Painter in Hartford, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Michigan // Hartford
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What type of paint is used for cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the difficult prep step necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Hartford, MI, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Hartford, MI to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Hartford, MI fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Hartford, MI easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.