Find a Cabinet Painter in Hickory Corners, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How do I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Hickory Corners, MI, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter in Hickory Corners, MI Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Hickory Corners, MI varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be happy to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Hickory Corners, MI easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.