Find Deck Staining in Luna Pier, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which factors most affect the cost of professional deck staining services?
Many things can influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price will increase if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before application.
The brand of stain you select for the deck will be calculated into the final price, and high-end options featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to access or work around could result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more layers of stain, could also raise your overall cost.
When looking for professional deck staining contractors, it's a good idea to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners can discover all this information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How long can I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. Anything surrounding the work area, including pathways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying process.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
What part of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Prior to staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Luna Pier, MI on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away under frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Luna Pier, MI and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.