Find a Cabinet Painter in Moscow, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my existing cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Moscow, Michigan, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Moscow, Michigan to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to boost the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Moscow, Michigan varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Moscow, Michigan easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.