Find Deck Staining in Newaygo, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep will a professional carry out before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
Does deck staining offer more advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Does staining a deck give any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Newaygo, MI is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Newaygo, MI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Newaygo, MI and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.