Find a Cabinet Painter in Port Huron, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Port Huron, Michigan, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Port Huron, Michigan
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Port Huron, Michigan fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Port Huron, Michigan confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.