Find Deck Staining in Rogers City, Michigan
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may suppose when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Rogers City, MI poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What kind of time frame should I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multiphase project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the next step. Anything immediately outside of the work area, including pathways and structures, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable during the drying step.
All of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
What part of the year is recommended for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Rogers City, MI on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Rogers City, MI and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.