Find a Cabinet Painter in Blue Earth, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Minnesota // Blue Earth
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant aesthetic. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
Which features should I search for from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by understanding precisely what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my present cabinets?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Blue Earth, MN, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Blue Earth, MN
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Blue Earth, MN varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Blue Earth, MN easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.