Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Cambridge, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
When should I consider refinishing my cabinets as an alternative to buying new ones?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always cheaper than buying new ones and is a worthwhile investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or deteriorating, it could be more cost-effective to go with a replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Priority: If protecting the environment is a priority, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as a better practice to reduce waste by refreshing your current cabinetry.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing gives you choices between a large variety of colors and finishes to bring to life a look that is wholly unique and matches your sense of style.
- Boosting Home Resale Value Cost-Effectively: If you're planning to sell your home, cabinet refinishing can be a cost-effective project to enhance its appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Pleased With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're current cabinets may already work well with your kitchen's layout and provide ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing results in minimal disruption to your home compared to a full cabinet replacement.
Property owners in Cambridge, MN have detailed paying as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Prior to deciding on cabinet refinishing, weigh your specific preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to understand if this option is best for you.
What certifications or licenses will a cabinet refinishing contractor usually have?
While there may not be industry-mandated licenses designed for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are important qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can refer to when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will mention any certifications in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant field on their Thumbtack page.
You will want to ask the contractor you are thinking about hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished in the past, especially featuring finished projects that are similar to the style you're trying to accomplish. Along with a picture gallery, most professional contractors can demonstrate their experience and dependability through online customer feedback.
A dependable expert can supply a clear written estimate of the job before it begins, outlining the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors need to have good communication skills and be able to address all of your questions and concerns regarding budget, schedule, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also ask about any warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can demonstrate they have faith in the quality of their workmanship.
What is the professional technique to refinish cabinets?
A contractor taking care of your cabinet refinishing project will adhere to an established process for efficiency and proven results. There are generally several steps used to transform the aesthetic of existing cabinets, such as:
- Assessment and Prepping: Cabinets should be first assessed to ensure they are in proper condition to be refinished. If they are, all hardware will be disassembled, like handles, knobs, and hinges, and all cabinet surfaces need to be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other contaminants.
- Repair and Fill: Some small issues, such as scratches, dings, or other imperfections in the wood can be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in thin, even coats to get the look you've envisioned. The drying and curing stage is critical to imparting a professional result, and may need several hours to accomplish.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain has dried, all parts can be put back on and cabinets fully reassembled for use. Performing a quality inspection will guarantee the final results satisfies your expectations, which includes a final cleanup of the entire work area.
It's important to note that the specific refinishing process will vary depending on aspects like the kind of cabinets and the chosen finish. Furthermore, professionals may employ detailed techniques, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific aesthetic results, which could require a longer process with more steps. Make sure to speak directly with any contractor you employ to guarantee they have the skill to bring your vision to reality.
What are the benefits to refinished cabinets?
Cabinet refinishing is a very beneficial home improvement task that many homeowners discover to be worth the effort. Refinishing cabinets in lieu of buying new ones is a good practice to limit your impact on the environment by giving used furniture a longer purpose rather than tossing them into landfills. The method of producing new cabinets also requires more wood and expels chemicals into the atmosphere, both of which can be significantly diminished when you choose to upcycle current furniture rather than replace it. A few other amazing advantages of choosing cabinet refinishing include:
- Cost-Efficient: Buying and putting in new kitchen cabinets can be very expensive, but refinishing current cabinets will allow you to refresh their look relatively affordably.
- Breathe New Life Into Your Kitchen: Cabinet refinishing can dramatically switch up the look of your kitchen through relatively little work or money.
- Minimal Disruption To Your Home: Cabinet refinishing is considered a relatively fast and simple technique to change their style compared to installing new ones. Because you're utilizing current cabinets that have already been hung, you'll avoid the chaos of having new cabinets built from scratch or the demolition and reconstruction of your kitchen walls and layout to make them fit.
- High-Quality Results: You'll get high-quality outcomes when you hire a vetted contractor to handle your cabinet refinishing project. The right technique and experience is critical to ensure your cabinets appear as you wished, including close attention to necessary steps of prepping the surfaces and permitting the paint or stain to dry before reassembly.
Employ The Right Contractor for Cabinet Refinishing in Cambridge, MN
Cabinet refinishing is an ideal way to beautify the look of your home by updating the appearance of current cabinets without the need for a complete replacement. Expert cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, including paint, stain, or other techniques to your existing cabinets to give a new look that fits your sense of style and design preferences.
The affordability of cabinet refinishing is one of the first benefits, and several homeowners in Cambridge, MN have reported paying up to 70% less than the price of having new cabinets built and hung. Achieving a fresh and updated look for your kitchen cabinets for less money will give you a bigger return on your investment, boosting the value of your house simultaneously.
Sustainable solutions also play a part in why many homeowners are starting to refinish used cabinets instead of buy and install new ones. Refinishing is a green option that celebrates eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and lessening demand for wood products.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the process is many times less disruptive to your lifestyle than the mess generated to install new ones. Whether buying stock or custom-made new cabinets, the space where they're hung will often face some level of demolition and reconstruction before they fit adequately. The consequence is much more debris everywhere and could take weeks or months before the room is ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and a convenient alternative for those working with a shorter timeframe.
When selecting an expert for your cabinet refinishing job, get a feel for their experience and expertise through pictures of their past work, if they offer any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more is on the powerful Thumbtack site to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Cambridge, MN confidently.