Find Deck Staining in Cambridge, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep has to be conducted before staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better defense from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for your needs.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Cambridge, MN is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Cambridge, MN on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers better versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Cambridge, MN and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.