Find a Cabinet Painter in Circle Pines, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How can you estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Circle Pines, MN, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Circle Pines, MN
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Circle Pines, MN fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Circle Pines, MN easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.