Find Deck Staining in Lakeville, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep needs to be performed before staining a deck?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and grounds.
Is there a significant difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for your needs.
Will staining my deck help protect it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Lakeville, MN poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Lakeville, MN on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lakeville, MN and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.