Find a Cabinet Painter in Morristown, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted to the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern look. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are several things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Morristown, Minnesota, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Morristown, Minnesota
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Morristown, Minnesota fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Morristown, Minnesota easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.