Find Deck Staining in New London, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Minnesota // New London
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help safeguard it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in New London, MN poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long will it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a multistage process that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application during the next step. The environment surrounding the work area, such as walkways and structures, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the curing process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering the desired look and durability.
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in New London, MN on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in New London, MN and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.