Find a Cabinet Painter in New Ulm, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference between cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern appearance. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
What qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In New Ulm, Minnesota, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near New Ulm, Minnesota
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in New Ulm, Minnesota varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near New Ulm, Minnesota easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.