Find a Cabinet Painter in Onamia, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the average cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Onamia, MN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter Near Onamia, MN to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to boost the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Onamia, MN varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Onamia, MN easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.