Find a Cabinet Painter in Santiago, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint is used for cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
What features should I look for from a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep phase necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the typical cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Santiago, MN, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Santiago, MN to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Santiago, MN fluctuates, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Santiago, MN confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.