Find Deck Staining in Savage, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to consider which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Savage, MN is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are involved during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart project that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Will the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Savage, MN on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Savage, MN and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.