Find a Cabinet Painter in Waconia, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted by the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will I need to budget to paint my used cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Waconia, MN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Waconia, MN
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Waconia, MN fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Waconia, MN confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.