Find a Cabinet Painter in West Concord, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I find the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to start is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the long prep phase a necessity prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around West Concord, MN, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in West Concord, MN Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around West Concord, MN fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in West Concord, MN easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.