Find a Cabinet Painter in Wyoming, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Wyoming, Minnesota, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Beautify Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Wyoming, Minnesota
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Wyoming, Minnesota fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Wyoming, Minnesota easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.